TERMS & CONDITIONS
The following is a summary of the rental conditions for Pacific Overlander. Please contact us with any questions you may have.
Driver's License & Age Restrictions
All drivers must be at least 25 years of age and posses a current and valid driver’s license. Drivers 70 years of age and older must submit general health information to underwriters prior to approval. Proof of an International Driver’s Permit (IDP) as well as a current passport are required for foreign renters. Additionally, we require that the driver’s license be held for at least one year prior to the rental period and have an expiration date outside the rental period. All drivers must be able to present the original driver’s license at the time of pick-up. Proof of insurance is required prior to vehicle pick up and may be purchased as needed. Additional drivers (a maximum of 1 additional driver allowed per rental vehicle) must be approved and listed on the rental agreement in order to drive the rental vehicle.
Travel within the US and Canada is permitted, while travel into Mexico is prohibited. Our rentals may be used on unsealed dirt roads, however they are not intended to be used for "rock-crawling" or in designated or undesignated off-road areas (such as SVRAs) and on closed roads (excluding country and state maintained roads), as such the use of our vehicles in these applications and settings is strictly off limits. While our vehicles are allowed in the Black Rock Desert, travel to Burning Man is prohibited due to the wear and tear encountered on the playa during this event. If you travel in a restricted area you will be liable for all damages to vehicle, tires, windshield, additional equipment, and towing charges, along with any additional expenses resulting from breakdown or accident. Of course, the consumption of alcohol or intoxicants while operating any vehicle is prohibited.
PICK-UP & DROP-OFF
- Pick-up and drop-off may occur within office hours from 8:00am – 6:00pm daily.
- Pick-up or drop-off when performed outside of the designated office hours will be assessed a fee of $25. No refunds are applied in the event of a late pick-up or early drop-off.
- If you are concerned about missing a prearranged pick-up or drop-off time, please contact us and we will do our best to accommodate you.
Reservation Deposit & Payment
- A reservation deposit of $200 is required to confirm your booking, which upon pick-up will be credited toward your rental balance.
- 50% of the rental balance is due 7 days prior to pick-up.
- Reservations which are 15 days or longer in duration require a non-refundable deposit of 50%, taken at the time of booking.
- Full payment of the remaining rental balance is required one day prior to pick-up.We accept credit and debit cards for rental charges and purchase made though our website. We do not accept cash or personal checks.
While we understand that plans can and do change, often due to unforeseen and sometimes unpleasant events, our cancellation terms are final and binding. We highly recommend all rental clients consider purchasing traveller's insurance to protect themselves from last-minute cancellations.
- No cancellation fee applies up to 30 days prior to the pick-up date and a full refund of the deposit will be made.*
- Cancellations within 30 days of pick-up will be assessed a $200 fee.
- If cancelled within 7 days of pick-up - 50% of the rental cost will apply
- If cancelled with 24 hours of pick-up or no show - 100% of the rental cost will apply
- All "one-way" rental fees are nonrefundable regardless of cancellation.
- All cancellations must be submitted in writing to Pacific Overlander
* Does not apply to reservation which are 15 days in duration or longer.
- Our minimum rental period is 3 days for rentals from our San Francisco location and 5 days from our Las Vegas location.
- Our maximum rental period is 30 days.
- Please contact us to discuss any rental requests outside of this minimum/maximum rental period.
- Rentals are assessed on a daily basis, by the calendar day, and not on an hourly basis.
- All rentals come standard with 150 miles per day.
- An additional 100 miles/day may be purchased for $30.00/day (not available as single supplements and must be purchased prior to vehicle pick-up).
- Additional mileage overages are assessed at $.50/mile upon return.
- All transactions are conducted in US Dollars ($US).
- Refunded amounts may vary from the amount of the initial deposit charged on your card, as exchange rates are changeable: Please note that we do not accept any liability for this variance.
- Refunds to credit cards are contingent on the renter's financial institution and may take up to 15 business days to process.
- Please note that some international transactions may incur and additional processing fee (~3%). Please request wire instructions to avoid these fees.
- All foreign divers are required to have a valid driver's license from your home country as well as a passport.
- Foreign drivers are also required to provide proof of full-comprehensive auto coverage prior to pick-up.
- For more information on license and insurance requirements please contact us directly at firstname.lastname@example.org or visit our Frequently Asked Questions page.
- Comprehensive and Collision Insurance is available for purchase from Pacific Overlander when requested.
- All equipment provided (tent, cooler/fridge, stove, cookware, etc.) is the responsibility of the client to maintain during the duration of the rental. You authorize us to charge all replacement costs to the credit/debit card for any rental equipment returned damaged, broken, lost, or stolen.
- Additional equipment is subject to availability and any failure of Pacific Overlander to provide this equipment does not allow the cancellation terms to be void.
- Rental requests for additional equipment cannot be cancelled on the day of pick-up and must be paid for.
- If an accident occurs, contact us as soon as possible, and we will work to get you back to enjoying your trip as fast as possible.
- We do require that you gather information from the other party (license, insurance, and contact information).
- You may need to file a police report if there are extensive damages (in excess of a $1000 or resulting in injury).
- Our optional insurance provides up to $1 million dollars in liability and $250 thousand dollars in collision protections. Should you select this option, you authorize us to apply your full security deposit as well as any overages under $1500 towards the deductible ($500-$1500).
- All Pacific Overlander rentals come with roadside assistance throughout the continental United States. In the event of mechanical issues, please contact us immediately.
- Additional roadside assistance packages are available for purchase.
- We aim to get you back on the road as soon as possible, and should your vehicle be unavailable overnight due to being held at a repair shop, outside of an at-fault incident, we will refund that day’s rental.
- When available, we will provide you with a replacement vehicle and in the unlikely event that the vehicle cannot be fixed or replaced, we will refund the remaining days of the rental agreement and assist you in reaching the nearest destination.
MAINTENANCE & RESPONSIBILITY
While we recognize that driving conditions can at times be unpredictable, you are required to protect the vehicle against inclement weather and other road hazards. Failure to do so will result in damages due to the customer. While our fleet comes equipped with snow and/or all-terrain tires, we advise you to use your best judgement and only travel when you are comfortable in your abilities to handle the driving conditions presented. Below are a list of further responsibilities and considerations.
- Protect the vehicles paint from "pin-striping," which occurs when traveling in areas with overgrown vegetation and brush. Excessive damage will result in a detailing fee of $150.
- Use the correct fuel on the given vehicle at all times.
- Return both vehicle and equipment in a clean and respectable state. If returned in a state requiring excessive cleaning (i.e. covered in mud, dirt, dust etc.) a cleaning fee of $150 will be assessed.
- We replace and change tires on a regular basis. All damages incurred to the tires/wheels are the customer's responsibility.
- Any new damage to the windshield is the responsibility of the renter.
VEHICLE TRANSFERS & ONE-WAY RENTALS
- Vehicles must be collected and returned to our predesignated pick-up and drop-off location.
- One-way rentals are offered only as a prearranged option and may not be added during the course of your rental.
- Failure to return to our designated drop-off location may result in a relocation fee being charged of up to $1000.00.
- Smoking of any kind inside our vehicles is strictly prohibited.
- Evidence of smoking will incur a $500 cleaning fee and be assessed to the renter’s credit card upon return of the vehicle.
- Dogs (2 max) are permitted with prior approval and require a $50 pet cleaning fee.
- Evidence of an unapproved pet in the vehicle will be assessed a $100 fee.
CITATIONS & TOLLS
- If we are notified by authorities that we may be responsible for payment of a Citation, a $50 processing fee will be charged for each such notification.
- If we pay any one of the Citations, you authorize us to charge all such payments and all processing fees to the credit/debit card you used to pay for this rental.
- If Toll Fees are incurred during the rental period, you authorize us to charge all such payments to the credit/debit card you used to pay for this rental without incurring additional processing fees.
- On pick up of the vehicle our staff will provide a complimentary vehicle consultation. This includes an explanation of all the interior and exterior features of the vehicle as well as driving tips.
Rev. July 1st 2018