WHAT IS A ROOF-TOP TENT?
- Adventure travelers have been using roof-top tents for decades to create easy and reliable shelter in a wide range of diverse environments from the tropics to the poles. Think of the archetypal safari vehicle, equipped with everything needed to be self-sufficient in the wild bushlands of Africa or on a transglobal route. All those hard-won learnings of how to best live a life on the road have been boiled down to produce our unique brand of car camping, with the roof-top tent experience at its core. All tents have internal mattresses and set-up in seconds to provide shelter, protection, and climate specific warmth or ventilation. The campsite is where you park it. Please visit our "Tents" page to learn more about our roof-top tents.
WHERE CAN I CAMP?
- One of the great things about our roof-top tents is you can camp wherever you park, regardless of whether the ground is wet, cold, rocky, etc. However, we do recommend camping in designated campsites, be they privately run or within a State or National Park.
- For those looking for a more off-the-beaten-path experience, there are numerous opportunities to explore lesser known camping options within the 'BLM' or National Forest Lands. Please visit our "Orientation" page for more camping specific tips and considerations and read our Overlander's Guide to 'Dispersed Camping,' for more information.
- Additionally, if you would like us to put together a personalized itinerary for your upcoming trip, or you just need some suggestions, please contact us!
What's included with my rental?
4x4 rentals include:
- AUTOHOME roof top tent with 3.5 inch memory foam mattress that sleeps 2+ people
- 2 camp chairs & a camp table
- Large YETI cooler or ARB fridge/freezer with dual-battery system
- 5 gallon water can
- Cooking and dining equipment:
- Dual-burner stove, 2 gallon propane tank, fuel gauge & matches
- Silverware for 2 and plating including 2 dinner plates, 2 large bowls, 2 medium bowls, 2 small bowls, & 2 mugs
- Salt & pepper shakers or spice roll, large spatula, tongs, kitchen knife, chef's knife, and cutting board
- Pour-over brewing cone & kettle
- 1 large covered pan & 1 medium covered pot
- Cleaning basin, sponge, pot scraper/brush, biodegradable dish soap, and a small spade
- 1 camp lantern, first-aid kit, jumper cables & flares
- Snow chains (available upon request from November - April)
Are there any travel restrictions?
- Our minimum rental period must be at least 3 days and rental periods longer than 30 days in duration must purchase insurance through us. You are free to travel anywhere you wish within the continental US and Canada (so long as you adhere to our Terms & Conditions).
Are one-way Rentals offered?
- Yes, visit our Rates page to learn more.
Do you offer road side assistance?
- We provide 24 hour roadside assistance with all rentals. You may also purchase additional road side assistances coverages through us if desired and we of course recommend applying personal coverages as well, such as AAA and/or travel insurance. Aside from these coverages, we’ll personally respond as quickly as possible in the event of an incident so that we can get you back on the road and enjoying your vacation.
Do you offer insurance?
- We offer optional insurance coverages on all of our rentals that provides $1 million in liability insurance and $250 thousand in comprehensive and collision coverages.
- Insurance can be purchased direct from us, however in many instances, your own personal auto insurance and/or credit card coverages may be adequate to insure your rental.
- Our insurance rates are charged as a percent of the rental total and are tiered:
- $1-1300 - 20%
- $1301-2500 - 18%
- $2501-5000 - 17%
- $5001+ - 16%
- In the event of an accident, security deposits will be used towards the deductible ($500-$1500 depending on the vehicle)
Do you recommend any other travel protections?
- We highly recommend that you consider purchasing travel insurance to cover unexpected changes in your itinerary as well as rescue insurance if you plan on an active vacation in the backcountry. Accidents can and do happen, go prepared.
Are pets allowed?
- Yes, dogs are welcome! We require a $50 fee for cleaning and have a maximum limit of 2 dogs per vehicle.
Should we be worried about bears?
Generally, wild animals tend to have an instinctive fear of humans and so will avoid coming into contact with us. That being said, some bears have become accustomed to eating human food due to its accessibility in homes, trash cans, and around campgrounds. For this reason many campgrounds provide "bear boxes" for storing food and may require you to use them. Backcountry camping is not often associated with bear encounters, as the bears in these areas have not recognized dispersed campsites as likely opportunities to find food. Nevertheless, it is always a good idea to follow best practices and keep all food out of sight and reduce inviting smells as much as possible.
What is Your cancellation policy?
- No cancellation fee applies up to 30 days prior to the pick-up date and a full refund of the deposit will be made
- Cancellations within 30 days of pick-up will be assessed a $200 fee
- If cancelled within 7 days of pick-up - 50% of the rental cost will apply
- If cancelling on the day of pick-up or no show - 100% of the rental cost will apply
- All "one-way" rental fees are nonrefundable regardless of cancellation.
- All cancellations must be submitted in writing to Pacific Overlander.
Tell me about your vehicles?
- We offer a number of vehicle options, which can be found on the "Vehicles" page of our website. Please make sure to contact us directly to learn more about the special features of each as they vary widely in terms of gas preferences, drive styles, and unique features. Special considerations should be made if selecting the Land Rover 'Defender' 90, as it is a manual transmissions and is older than the comparatively newer models: Wrangler, 4Runner, Tacoma . While the 'Defender' is still a very capable overland platform and very easy to drive, we recommend drivers have a high level of comfort driving 'stick-shift' or manual transmission autos.
- All vehicle come equipped with a cooler or fridge/freezer, as well as a camp kitchenette with dual burner stove, cleaning basin, and all the necessary cooking and dining wares.
What is my mileage limit?
- Your rental comes standard with 150 miles per day
- You may purchase an additional 100 miles/day for $30.00/day (not available as single supplements)
- Without the pre-purchase of additional miles, overages will be assessed at $.50/mile upon return
What are your hours of operation?
- Pacific Overlander operates from 8am - 6pm, 7 days per week.
- Vehicle pick-up and drop-off must occur within business hours.
- Unless expressly agreed to, a $50 fee is assessed for pick-up or drop-off outside of the designated business hours.
- Please contact us if you are worried about getting your vehicle back in time, and we will work to accommodate you as best we can.
Where do I pick up my Rental?
- We use a prearranged pick-up and drop-off location in either the Mission District of San Francisco or at McCarran International Airport in Las Vegas depending on rental location selected. Upon reserving, we coordinate with our clients to answer any questions and arrange pickup times.
- If you require a pick-up or drop-off at San Francisco International Airport, we would be happy to work with you for an additional fee of $50 (assessed per occurance).
How far ahead of time should I reserve?
Since our vehicles book up quickly, we recommend you try reserving your vehicle a few weeks/months out, especially during peak season (May - September) and on holiday weekends. Please contact us for availability.
How should I handle a break down?
- All rentals come with roadside assistance. In the event of any mechanical issues, please contact us immediately.
- Any mechanical issues which occur during the proper use of our vehicle and at no fault to the driver which keep you off the road for more than 4 hours will be refunded as a full day.
- If your vehicle becomes inoperable, we will provide you with a replacement vehicle if one is available. In the unlikely event that the vehicle cannot be fixed or replaced, we will refund the remaining days of the rental agreement and assist you in reaching your nearest destination.
how should I handle an accident?
- If an accident occurs, please contact us as soon as possible. We require you to gather information from the other party (license, insurance, etc.) along with filing a police report if the damages are extensive. Additionally, all rentals come with an accident report card that must be completed on the scene. We will work to get you back on your journey as fast as possible.
What Am I responsible for when renting a Vehicle?
- You are required to use the correct fuel and protect the vehicle against inclement weather. Failure to do so will result in damages due to the customer. While our vehicles have off-road/snow tires and four-wheel drive it is important to use your best judgment when assessing road conditions and possible hazards.
- Cleaning - We require that each vehicle be returned in a clean and respectable state, without excessive mud, dirt, dust etc. A cleaning fee will be charged to the customer if the vehicle is returned in a state that requires substantial cleaning.
- Tire Damage - We replace and rotate our tires on a regular basis due to normal wear and tear. All other damages incurred to the wheels and tires are the customer's responsibility. Please use caution when driving on unsealed surfaces, as tires can and do fail, especially if driven at speed or in a reckless manner.
- Windshield Damage - Any new damage to the windshield is the responsibility of the renter.
- Paint - 'Pin-striping' to the paint occurs when the vehicle makes contact with brush on overgrown roads. Substantial wear and tear to the paint will result in a detailing fee. Mindfulness of the vehicles dimensions and road conditions can eliminate this issues: When in doubt use a spotter.
- You are responsible for all equipment included with the vehicle, whether lost or damaged.