Adventure awaits, we'll get you there. Please use these resources to find tips for trip planning, get a sense of the services we offer, and learn more about what to expect from your rental experience.
Reserve and go
We offer our clients the highest quality overland vehicles with literally everything included: yes, even the kitchen sink. Call or email us to inquire about reservations or simply use our online booking system to reserve.
Our prearranged vehicle pick-up and drop-off service is offered outside of Sports Basement's "Bryant Street" location in the Mission District. If you require a location specific vehicle pick-up within the city or at SFO please let us know, and we will do our best to accommodate your request.
We provide a one-hour orientation upon pick-up to answer any questions you may have about the vehicle and equipment and finalize your reservation.
Curious about what comes with your rental? Need help with trip planning? Want to make sure you have everything you need prior to departure? Don't worry, we've got you covered.
WHAT’S INCLUDED WITH YOUR RENTAL
Aside from 150 free miles per day and the option to purchase additional miles as needed, all vehicles come with the following items:
- Roof-top tent with 3.5 inch memory foam mattress
- 2 camp chairs & a camp table
- 65 liter cooler or fridge
- 4 gallon water can
- Cooking and dining equipment:
- Dual-burner stove, 4.5 pound propane tank, fuel gauge & matches
- Silverware for 2 and plating including 2 dinner plates, 2 large bowls, 2 medium bowls, 2 small bowls, 2 cups & 2 mugs
- Salt & pepper shakers, large spatula, tongs, cutting board, kitchen knife & chef's knife
- Coffee filter, pour-over brewing cone & kettle
- 1 large pan & 1 medium pot
- Cleaning basin, sponge, pot scraper/brush & biodegradable dish soap
- 1 small lantern, first-aid kit, jumper cables & flares
- Snow chains (November - April)
Any other gear, equipment, personal items, clothing, food, etc. is the responsibility of the client. Additional items may be available upon request and may also be rented from Sports Basement during vehicle pick-up.
When we're not traveling, we are dreaming up our next adventure. Planning is for us as much a part of the adventure as sitting in the driver's seat, so let us help you plan you next trip with useful tips and personalized itineraries (available upon request).
Have a specific route in mind, or hoping to browse a few of our favorite options to find an ideal fit, just let us know and we will gladly help bring your ideal escape to fruition.
Of course, while we are here to help as best we can, we must mention that Pacific Overlander is not responsible for your trip choices in any way, shape, or form. If you plan to head to the Sierra Nevada mountains or the high desert regions of Mojave or Joshua Tree in the winter months, you must be prepared for very cold weather and the potential for snow and ice. Also, if you will be on land requiring a special permit, be it federal, tribal, or other, you must obtain them or work with us to do so.
Also, if you plan to spend time in lesser visited, or ecologically fragile areas, please consider your impact on the environment. You may wish to visit treadlightly.org to learn more about how you can protect the wild places we love to visit.
We looking forward to helping you plan for the road ahead and are confident that our offerings provide the best possible platform to access our beloved landscapes and seemingly endless outdoor activities.
Aside from these considerations, here are a few additional tips:
- Weather in the Western US varies by season and can be highly changeable; plan accordingly! Check the weather before your trip and make sure you are aware of both the potential camping and driving conditions in advance. When traveling during periods of increased rain or snow, make sure to visit the Caltrans website to get the most up-to-date information on highway closures and conditions.
- When planning a route, make sure to consider that any off-highway driving may take longer than anticipated. Forest Service roads not only offer countless vistas, off-the-grid camping options, and backcountry access, they also can be slow-going: Make sure to plan your itinerary with this in mind.
- California has 27 National Parks, some notable examples are Yosemite, Redwoods, Sequoia & Kings Canyon, Death Valley, Joshua Tree, Point Reyes and Lassen, as well as numerous State Parks, National Forests, and Conservation Lands to explore. Our neighboring states of the Pacific Northwest and Southwestern US should not be overlooked either.
- If you plan on staying at a campsite or on reserving other accommodations during peak seasons (i.e. Yosemite Valley during the summer months), make sure to reserve ahead! You may reserve campsites up to 5 months ahead of time through recreation.gov. Please note that selection becomes available on the 15th of the month at 7 a.m. and can sell out within minutes. Unfortunately, we are not able to reserve campsites for your reservation, as resale is prohibited by law.
- Pacific Overlander can help you realize your dream trip. For personalized itineraries and assistance, please contact us at email@example.com.
Your vehicle is a very capable Toyota or Land Rover, and if driven properly, it will get you places others merely read about. Please note that if you do decide to explore more remote areas your vehicle could be your lifeline. If overpowered or driven aggressively you may compromise the vehicle and your safety. That being said, we expect clients to drive with the same care and attention they would their personal vehicles, and we are excited to offer you a different rental experience than what you might get from renting a van or using a larger rental company.
Please also note that with the addition of roof-top tents and camping equipment, our cars have increased weights to carry: Please be mindful of this when driving. While these vehicles are very capable in the snow or on unsealed roads, our rentals are not designed to “rock crawl,” or intentionally travel over large rocks, obstacles, and boulders.
Our vehicles are designed to help you navigate backroads safely and comfortably. Pristine vistas and unspoiled wild areas await, just make sure to tread lightly and respect your vehicle's abilities.
Safety is a top priority, which is why we provide full roadside assistance to assure both piece of mind and immediate help in an emergency situation, breakdown, or accident. In the unfortunate event that something does go wrong we will do our best to support you, so that you can return to enjoying your vacation. Of course, please contact the proper authorities to assure the safety of those involved. And please contact us under all such scenarios, so that a team member may assess the situation and ensure everyone is safe.
Additionally, all vehicles are equipped with jumper cables, tire-changing equipment, and road flares. If you wish to venture further off-the-beaten path then items such as Personal Locator Beacons and Emergency Jump equipment are available upon request.
While some vehicles come with overland specific recovery equipment, including winches and air compressors, we strongly discourage the use of these items if you are not familiar with vehicle recovery techniques and/or using variable tire pressures.
For more detailed information on what to do in the event of an accident please refer to our Terms & Conditions or contact us.
DOCUMENTS & INSURANCE
We are passionate about providing our customers access to the best vehicles and equipment, and we are confident you will love them like they're your own. Never-the-less, accidents do happen, so we require full or "comprehensive" coverage from all of our clients. Please note that you will be responsible for any and all damage incurred to the vehicle and/or gear/equipment during your trip and copies of insurance cards reflecting coverage must be on file with us prior to your trip.
Additional rental requirements include:
- A copy of a valid driver’s license(s) for anyone intending on driving (minimum 24 yoa)
- A copy of your insurance card(s) reflecting the coverage required for all drivers to rent the vehicle
- A signed, completed copy of our Rental Agreement and Terms & Conditions
- A copy of your passport and travel insurance including comprehensive automobile coverage (international travellers only)
- Full balance (debit or credit card) is required at pick-up.