WHAT IS A ROOF-TOP TENT?
- Adventure travelers have been using roof-top tents for decades to create easy and reliable shelter in a wide range of diverse environments from the tropics to the poles. Think of the archetypal safari vehicle, equipped with everything needed to be self-sufficient in the wild bushlands of Africa or on a transglobal route. All those hard-won learnings of how to best live a life on the road have been boiled down to produce our unique brand of car camping, with the roof-top tent experience at its core. All tents have internal mattresses and set-up in seconds to provide shelter, protection, and climate specific warmth or ventilation. The campsite is where you park it. Please visit our "Tents" page to learn more about our roof-top tents.
WHERE CAN I CAMP?
- One of the great things about our roof-top tents is you can camp wherever you park, irregardless of whether the ground is wet, cold, rocky, etc. However, we do recommend camping in designated campsites, be they privately run or within a State or National Park.
- For those looking for a more off-the-beaten-path experience, there are numerous opportunities to explore lesser known camping options within the 'BLM' or National Forest Lands. Please visit our "Orientation" page for more camping specific tips and considerations.
- Additionally, if you would like us to put together a personalized itinerary for your upcoming trip, or you just need some suggestions, please contact us!
Are there any travel duration or destination restrictions?
- Our minimum rental period must be at least 3 days, while our maximum rental period must be no longer than 30 days in duration. You are free to travel anywhere you wish within the continental US (so long as you adhere to our Terms & Conditions).
Do you offer one-way rentals?
- Please contact us to discuss the specifics of your request, and we will see what we can do to accommodate you.
What is your road side assistance policy?
- We provide 24 hour roadside assistance. If needed, we’ll respond as quickly as possible so that we can get you back on the road and enjoying your vacation.
Are pets allowed?
- Yes, dogs are welcome! However, we require a $50 fee for cleaning.
What is the cancellation policy?
- You may cancel up to 30 days prior to your reservation pick-up date without incurring a fee: Your deposit will be refunded in full.
- Cancellations within 30 days of pick-up we’ll be assessed a $200 fee.
- Cancellations on the day of pick-up or 'no-shows,' will result in 100% of the rental cost being applied.
- No refunds can be given for early returns.
- All cancellations must be submitted in writing to Pacific Overlander.
- Contact us as soon as a potential conflict arises so that we can work with you to address the situation.
Tell me about your vehicles?
- We offer a number of vehicle options, which can be found on the "Vehicles" page of our website. Please make sure to contact us directly to learn more about the special features of each as they vary widely in terms of gas preferences, drive styles, and unique features. Special considerations should be made if selecting the Land Rover 'Defender' 90, as it is a manual transmissions and is older than the comparatively newer Toyota 4Runner, Tacoma, and Land Cruiser models. While the 'Defender' is still a very capable overland platform and very easy to drive, we recommend drivers have a high level of comfort driving 'stick-shift' or manual transmission autos.
- All vehicle come equipped with a cooler or fridge, as well as a camp kitchenette with dual burner stove, cleaning basin, and all the necessary cooking and dining wares.
What is my mileage limit?
- Your rental comes standard with 150 miles per day
- You may purchase an additional 100 miles/day for $30.00/day (not available as single supplements)
- Without the pre-purchase of additional miles, overages will be assessed at $.50/mile upon return
What are your hours of operation?
- Pacific Overlander operates from 8am - 6pm, 7 days per week.
- Vehicle pick-up and drop-off must occur within business hours.
- A $25 fee is assessed for pick-up or drop-off outside of the designated business hours.
- Please contact us if you are worried about getting your vehicle back in time, and we will work to accommodate you as best we can.
How do I pick up my Rental?
- We use a prearranged pick-up and drop-off location in San Francisco's Mission District for all vehicle rentals. Upon reserving, we coordinate with our clients to answer any questions and arrange pickup times.
- If you require a pick-up or drop-off at San Francisco International Airport, we would be happy to work with you for an additional fee of $50.
When should I reserve A VEhicle?
Since our vehicles book up quickly, we recommend you try reserving your vehicle a few weeks/months out. Please contact us for availability.
What happens if I break down?
- All rentals come with roadside assistance. In the event of any mechanical issues, please contact us immediately.
- Any mechanical issues that keep you off the road for more than 4 hours will be refunded as a full day.
- If your vehicle becomes inoperable, we will provide you with a replacement vehicle if one is available. In the unlikely event that the vehicle cannot be fixed or replaced, we will refund the remaining days of the rental agreement and assist you in reaching your nearest destination.
how should I handle an accident?
- If an accident occurs, please contact us as soon as possible. We require you to gather information from the other party (license, insurance, etc.) along with filing a police report if the damages are extensive. We will work to get you back on your journey as fast as possible.
What is my responsibility when renting a Vehicle?
- You are required to use the correct fuel and protect the vehicle against inclement weather. Failure to do so will result in damages due to the customer. While our vehicles have off-road/snow tires and four-wheel drive it is important to use your best judgment when assessing road conditions and possible hazards.
- Cleaning - We require that each vehicle be returned in a clean and respectable state, without excessive mud, dirt, dust etc. A cleaning fee will be charged to the customer if the vehicle is returned in a state that requires substantial cleaning.
- Tire Damage - We replace and rotate our tires on a regular basis due to normal wear and tear. All other damages incurred to the wheels and tires are the customer's responsibility.
- Windshield Damage - Any new damage to the windshield is the responsibility of the renter.
- Paint - 'Pin-striping' in the paint occurs when the vehicle makes contact with brush on overgrown roads. Substantial wear and tear to the paint will result in a detailing fee.